Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New Research: Optimists Live Longer

Here is an interesting article: Do Optimists Live Longer

There has been a lot of research done in the past few years stating that optimistic people live longer, are happier and generally have better lives. These studies increasingly show the power of the mind, body, spirit connection. It is becoming harder to deny that those three areas are linked.

However, I admit, I struggle with this research--not because I don't believe it or because I think it is wrong but because being optimistic for some people can challenging. When I read this article my first inclination is just to decide ok today I am going to be happy for the sake of my health I am going to switch my mindset and be happy. Ah if only it were that easy.

I am an optimistic person most of the time (Ok probably more like a cheery Eeyore as my friends call me--an upbeat realist)--but there are days when I admit this stuff is hard. Where does optimism come from? Is it something you are born with? Is it something you can learn? As with everything it is a combination of both--I have watched my father the worlds biggest pessimist become more of an optimist as he enters his 70s. So it is possible to change. However, that change comes over time--and not just by saying OK today I am going to be an optimist.

That change comes in little every day decisions. Changing our perspectives, reframing our stories. Great example. This morning I was walking my dog--it is hot and humid here in Ohio. For those of you not familiar with midwestern humidity it is like walking into a steam room the minute you walk outside. As I was walking my dog I noticed my self talk "ugh-I am tired, it is hot, I am sweating, I need my coffee, I want to get home" and then I thought--wait a minute let's reframe. Instead of looking at all the negatives around walking the dog let me try to find all the positives and then I thought to myself "wow I get to walk my dog, I get to see the joy on her face as she trots along, I get to move my body and see the changes in my neighborhood, I get to greet people and say Hi, I get to be outside (even if it is REALLY HUMID" And I noticed my posture was better, there was a spring in my step--I just felt better. That, my friend, is how you slowly become an optimist. It is changing your perspective from I HAVE TO to I GET TO.

Pay attention to those negative thoughts and start reframing them to positive ones. No, it isn't as easy as bam I want to become an optimist. But research shows that the work of switching our thoughts not only will help us live longer--but will help us enjoy the years we are living!
blog comments powered by Disqus