Monday, August 16, 2010

Just One Thing

It is time once again for question of the week--I missed doing question of the week last week, and I debated doing two this week. But figured one is enough, which fits nicely with my theme today.  If you could pick ONE thing you wanted to change about your life in order to work happier or live happier--what would that be?  Quick--no analyzation--off the top of your head!  Answer the question!

As you know if you have been reading my blog, I am a big fan of dreaming big, figuring out what makes your heart sing and going for it!  However, I know it is easy to get stuck in the dream and not take any action towards living it.  So today I am going back to basics:  when you look at your life what is one thing you would like to change? Maybe it is the way you interact with your co-workers,  the amount you snack all day, the amount of time you spend in front of the TV, or how you organize your day.

Maybe the first thing that pops into your mind is something big like your job,  relationship, house, friendships, hobbies etc.  So then you can start picking with in that area, ok, what is one thing I would change about my job: my desk location, co-workers, the tasks I do every day, the amount of time I spend on the computer.  And slowly but surely you start breaking it down bit by bit until you get to the baby step you can change today.  If you ask yourself each day, what is one thing I can do/change about my life you will be making slowly steady progress in not only revealing your ideal life but achieving it.

The trick is to allow yourself the room and permission to dream big and then allow yourself the time and patience to come up with manageable tasks, comfortable bits that you can break off in achieving that dream.  Then most importantly to celebrate your accomplishment of those tasks. If you decide your one thing is that you want to stop checking e-mail obsessively and so you implement ways of doing that such as, turning off your e-mail application and only checking it at certain times in the day. Let's say for two days this week you actually accomplish that task!  Then celebrate!  Do a little jig at your desk or in your living room that you were able to implement a new change in your life.  We tend to miss those celebrations!

So the question of the week: What is the one thing you would like to change about your life?  And just in case you are curious---my answer to that question, when I asked it quick without analyzing was decreasing the volume of my negative voice.  Every now and when I am not being diligent the volume gets cranked up again.    So that is my challenge for the day/week thinking of little ways of turning down the volume on my negative voice.  What is your challenge?


*********************
Check out my new website/blog!  Please check it out and be sure to sign up for my FREE 25+ page Work Happier Tool Kit.  It is a self study guide to help you get clear on what makes your heart sing!!!
blog comments powered by Disqus