Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wondering Wednesday: What do you need to let go of?

It is Wednesday again and time for us to take a moment to have some curiosity and wonderment about our lives.  I admit today's question is a bit personal and one I need to be more curious about in my own life.  As a self-confessed control freak letting go is something I am continually working towards.  But every now and then the universe will laugh and let me know that ultimately I am not in control and I do need to let go and get out of my own way.

There are so many things we cannot control, illness, weather, expectations, other people, and just the random stuff that happens in our life.  Occasionally when my grip has tightened so much on every little thing in my life I like to ask myself: what right now do I need to let go of?  Maybe it is worrying about the future or beating myself up for gaining weight or not accepting the failing health of a loved one.  It is helpful in the quest to live happier to recognize from time to time we just need to let go.

When we try to hold on so tight to old ideas, emotions or memories we don't have the space or the energy to make new positive changes in our lives.  When we let go of control it makes room for other more positive ideas, actions or thoughts to come forward.   In letting go of how much you hate your job you can start allowing room for new thoughts about what you might want to do next, or what you might be able to do to make the job a little better.  In letting go we can build acceptance around news that is out of our control.  In letting go we can just have room to breathe and pause and remember we don't have to be 'on it' 'in control' or 'all knowing' we can be unsure, scared, tired and sad.

For me when I am holding on too tight and unwilling to let go, it is usually a sign that there is some emotion, buried deep down that I don't want to admit or deal with.  But I  swear, in that space where we surrender, where we admit our powerlessness and express whatever regret, sadness or fear we are feeling there is a peaceful calm that embraces me.  I remember that I don't have to be super woman, I am me doing the best I can with what I have control freak and all.

And as a reminder to me and all of you of the beauty of letting go I am going to end with the Serenity prayer;
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference

What do you need to let go of?  Feel free to share in the comments section--I'll go first.
blog comments powered by Disqus