Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wondering Wednesday: What strategies do you use to handle stress?

Life is stressful. Day to day stressors can be enough to overwhelm us, and then from time to time we are thrown bigger more exhausting life stressors to deal with on top of that.  From finding your perfect career to doing a job search the process of change can be exhausting.  I admit lately, for myself I have been pretty stressed with life and this morning decided I need to remind myself of some stress relievers to ease the overwhelm.  So since it is Wondering Wednesday I thought I would throw it out to my readers too and ask--What do you do when you are feeling overwhelmed by life?  What are some methods you use to calm yourself down?

Here are some general ideas I use on a regular basis:
Talk to friends:  My friends are an invaluable resource.  Reaching out and gaining support (as well as enjoying a little laughter) can go a long way in easing the stress.

Move your Body: Whether it is a hard core workout or taking the dog for a walk, get out of the house, out of the stress and move your body. Our bodies release natural stress reducing chemicals that can help relax us.

Breathe: Sometimes in the midst of stress we forget to take deep breathes.  I have to regularly implement the take three deep breaths mantra into my daily life.

Regroup:  For me when I am stressed I need time alone, time to regroup.  Time to read, veg in front of the TV, or play mindless video games. Time to just be.

Treat yourself;  Maybe it is a warm bubble bath, a glass of wine (not the whole bottle, mind you, just a glass) a piece of chocolate or a favorite movie.  Something that let's you feel special and supported.

I would love to get some ideas for how you deal with stress?  What do you do to unwind, relax, and regroup?  See you in the comments section.
blog comments powered by Disqus