Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Relationship and Career: Find What you Love

Photo: Erin MC Hammer
Every now and then I think I am being too idealistic, too pie in the sky, too pollyanna to think people can really work in a job they love.  I mean there are practical things to consider, money, family, responsibilities.  Not everyone can afford to do the work they love and live a life that is full and rich. Fortunately these thoughts don't last long (hello fear monger!) --because I do believe that we all have natural gifts, and talents that need to be given to the world.  We all have the gift of a life that is meant to be savored and enjoyed.  Life is suppose to be full and exciting and we can experience that excitement in our careers and work.

When I am having these pollyanna doubts I inevitably will hear something or talk to someone who reminds me I am not crazy or too optimistic...With the announcement of Steve Jobs stepping down from Apple his graduation speech from 2005 has been circulating on Facebook and various other places, and I was able to watch it again.  If you haven't seen it, it is short and powerful and you can watch it below.  But my favorite part that gives me good bumps is this one paragraph:

....."Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick.  Don't lose faith.  I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going what that I loved what I did.  You've got to find what you love.  And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers.  Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.  If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.  As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it.  And, like any great relationship, if just gets bette and better as the years roll on.  So keep looking until you find it.  Don't settle."--Steve Jobs

Can I get a 'hell ya!".  Every time I read it or hear it I get chills.  We spend so much time reading, hearing, obsessing about finding our 'soul mate' our 'true love' and yes that is SO important but so it finding the work that makes your heart sing!  Yes we need to make money, yes we need to be responsible AND we need to do work that is inspiring to ourselves and to others.  To be the best us possible we need people around us that we love as well as work that we love.

Check out the full speech below:

blog comments powered by Disqus