Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Assignment: Creating your Wish List

I remember it like it was yesterday, entering Santa Land at the Downtown Lazarus store in Columbus.  It was a HUGE deal to go to the 'big city' and enter the fancy department store only to be transported to magical Santa Land.  I remember waiting patiently (although I probably wasn't very patient) and finally having my turn on Santa's lap.  After much deliberation and pondering I hopped up on Santa's lap and told him my wish list, smiled for the camera and assured him I had been good.  And then just like that it was over.  I remember feeling so at peace, so joyful that everything was going to be fine, I would get my gift of choice because I had talked with the 'big man' himself.

It always is interesting to ask people about their Santa Stories...inevitably they will be transported back in time and will describe in full detail a Santa Experience that is near and dear to their hearts.  As I was thinking today about my own Santa Story--I was thinking about my wish list.  The amount of time and care I spent on that list, thinking about what I wanted, perusing through catalogs and generally just taking time for myself to figure out what would be the best gift.  How rarely we do that today, I seldom think about what I want for Christmas.  Much by my design, gift giving has become more the norm in my world.  But when you think about the concept of a magical wish list, offering that up to someone who seems larger than life and believing that he will produce it...it is a little freeing, a little magical, a little fun.

So where am I going with all this Santa talk?!!?  Well... I think this year we should make our own Wish List.  Think about your life right now...what would you wish for...you could have anything in the world...what would it be??  Just Believe.

The assignment is:  over the next few days we are going to take the occasional break from our 'adult' world, tap into the wonder and amazement of childhood and we are going to make a Wish List.  A list of all the things you want for your life from the practical, (a new stove) to the ridiculous (a trip around the world) and everything in between.  I want you to really take some time to dream, imagine and believe.  Think about changes you would want in your life, additions you would make, and things you could do without. Maybe your contains stuff you could buy in a store, or make by hand or it is just ideas.  Your list can have 2 items or 200...it doesn't matter.  The point is to tap into spirit of magic that is in this season and see what your heart can imagine.

Over the next few days I will share my list and maybe you can share yours too..but for now just ponder...what if I could wish for anything what would I wish for?

No matter what your December tradition and most of them include a story around miracles, magic, wishes, and fresh starts.
blog comments powered by Disqus