Thursday, April 8, 2010

Living Happier Is....

In looking through my recent posts I noticed, lately I have written a lot of posts on pausing and savoring the moment. One of my challenges with writing this blog is that I fear I am sending more 'you aren't enough' messages out into the world.  So today for my own clarification I wanted to do one more post on the power of recognizing we are enough.

On my wall in my bedroom I have 2 posters both from Oriah Mountain Dreamer.  One is entitled The Dance and the other is entitled The Invitation.  Today as I was getting ready I took a pause to read them. I have probably read these 100 times and every time they take my breath away.    I wanted to share the lines I find most humbling and powerful.

What if there is no need to change, to transform yourself into someone who is more compassionate, more present, more loving or wise?  How would this affect all the places in your life where you are endlessly trying to be better? 


What if the task is simply to unfold, to become who you already are in your essential nature--gentle, compassionate, and capable of living fully and passionately present? 


What if the question is not why am I so infrequently the person I really want to be, but why do I so infrequently want to be the person I really am?

Prelude to the Dance by Oriah Mountain Dreamer

These words remind me, I am enough. I can step off the ferris wheel and pause.   In order to live happier we have to embrace who we are and where we are.  The concept of living happier is not that 'one day' when I figure it all out I will be happier.  One day when the house is consistently clean, when I  am better at time management, when I am 15lbs skinnier, THEN I will be happy.

It is my belief that in order to live happier we need to let go of the striving to be better/different/more.  We need to learn how to be with ourselves, with other people in the sorrows and joys of life.  Here's to Living Happier!!
blog comments powered by Disqus