Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Picking More Daisies

This morning while brushing my teeth I happened to glance up at my wall and see a print that I have hanging there.  It always amazes me because this print hangs there all the time, day after day and only occasionally do I read it. When I do I am always amazed at it's wisdom and it is as if I have read it for the first time. 

 It was written by Nadine Stair.  This quote was her reply at 85 years old, when she was asked what she would do if she had her life to live over again.


If I Had My Life to Live Over I Would Pick More Daisies


"I'd dare to make more mistakes next time. I'd relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been on this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.


You see, I'm one of those people who live sensibly and sanely hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, and a raincoat. If I had to do it over again, I would travel lighter than I have.


If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds and I would pick more daisies." 

Today I needed to look up and see this quote.  I needed to be reminded that life is one big adventure and ride.  I confess I have gotten bogged down in the muck and mire of life.  I have been taking my life and myself too seriously lately and haven't stopped to pick the daisies.  So looking up and reading this print, toothbrush in my mouth, was a gift this morning. A bit of a reminder to let go and relax, to embrace all the moments that make up my day rather than living for the deadlines and the what ifs.  We all need these reminders from time and I wanted to share it with you. 

Yes, there are times for being sensible and plan, but we don't want to miss out on the ride because we are doing so much planning.  We don't want to miss out on the silly joys and giant belly laughs of our lives because we have our heads down and our blinders on trying to be responsible and sensible.

So how would you answer that question, if you had to live your life over again what would you do differently?  And then let's start doing it!  Because life isn't over and fortunately we get the chance to start fresh every day. 

Here's to picking more daisies!!
blog comments powered by Disqus