Monday, September 20, 2010

Celebrating the Pooh's in Our Life.

Last week I stumbled upon this lovely quote from the Winnie the Pooh books:  "Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?", he whispered.  "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw.  "I just wanted to be sure of you."  --AA Milne

It makes me smile every time I read it. So often, we minimize the importance of just BEING with someone, being present to them, holding their hand or sitting next to them on the couch and feeling sure.

On the journey to working and living happier, it is my belief, one of the most important factors is having support people for the trip.  People who we are sure of, who are there for us, and hold our hands.  People who just knowing they are there, makes you feel relaxed and sure about what's next.  This quote reminds us that we don't need to come up with highly intelligent, perfectly thought out advice or even the right motivational quote to be of support.  Sometimes we simply need to know we have people in our lives who will show up and hold our hands.  Someone who will cry with us, check in on us when we have a 'can't get out of bed day' as a friend of mine calls it, and help us stand up after we fall down.  Someone who will whisper "you can do it" when we feel like a failure, sit with us on the couch when we are tired and weary and then do a victory dance over each and every success.

The power of that presence, that bond of complete certitude is so powerful.  Being there for the journey.  I think of when my dad was in the ICU and my mom and I spent the day sitting in his room. There were times when the room would be silent, we weren't talking, laughing or crying, we were just present.   We were sure of him and I know he was sure of us.  Or when my nearest and dearest comes over after a hard day and we sit on the couch together, after sharing our stories of the day, we are just silent, comfortable in the surety of it all.  Or with my friend who calls from out of state to say, "I have had a bad day, no week, no month" And I can just listen to her vent about colds, jobs and stresses and not have to fix a thing.

The reason Pooh and Piglet touch my heart is that they are so sincere, so genuine, so supportive.  Their love for each other is filled with unconditional love and support.  It isn't mired down in competition, one-upping, mis-trust or jealousy.  They are both just 'sure' of each other.

Today I celebrate all the Pooh's in my life who I know are there whether I need a shoulder, a hug or a victory dance.  We all need at least one or two Pooh's in our world.  People who will hold us up when we think we can't keep going, sit with us when we just need to rest and dance with us when we are ready to celebrate.  

Who are your Pooh's?  Who are you sure of?

*********
Photo courtesy of deviantART.com
blog comments powered by Disqus