Thursday, December 10, 2009

It's in the Little Things.


Yesterday I talked about living happier in one step at a time.  Basically Living Happier is about the little things--the every day mundane things that make us smile.  These things happen so quickly that if we aren't aware and watching we miss them.

So yesterday I decided to keep track of the little things that made me smile:

  • My dog running into the kitchen caring her stuffed monkey in her mouth.  
  • Getting a hilarious e-mail from my aunt which made me laugh out loud in the middle of the grocery store. 
  • Sitting inside, nice and warm drinking my coffee looking out at the crisp winter morning (ignoring the fact that after I write this post the dog and I are headed out there) 
  • My cat jumping on the bed to greet me as I get dressed so we can engage in a quick game of wrestling. (she always wins--claws are helpful in wrestling) 
  • Enjoying one of my favorite comfort foods while hanging on the couch wrapped in a blanket.
  • In the middle of my swim workout--in which I was debating just getting out and throwing away my swimsuit permanently--my instructor noticed I was struggling came over and suggested singing 'American Pie' under water. It just made me laugh and it worked.
  • Talking to a friend of mine on the phone yesterday who said to me "I wish we saw each other more--in the span of 10 minutes I have been on the verge of tears and laughed so hard I almost peed my pants"  
  • Overhearing a dad talking to a little girl while they were walking to school about the importance of walking vs taking the car to school because of the environment.  The girl REALLY wanted to be driving the 2 blocks to school and this explanation didn't really cut it for her.   Made me smile.
The real point of this post is not just for me to share my daily joys but for you to think about your own.  Pay attention over the next few days to the small joys, the things that bring a smile to your face or make you laugh. Then come back to this post and share them with us.  Let's make a list of ALL the little things that help us Live Happier.

And with that I am heading out in to the frozen tundra that is my neighborhood to walk my dog. Enjoy your day!
blog comments powered by Disqus