Monday, December 21, 2009

Joyous Solstice

Today is officially the shortest day of the year. I have to admit this is one of my favorite days of the year.   Not just because from here on the days get longer.  But because it is a day of reflection a day of cozying up in my warm house and going to bed early.  I love the seasons, I admit I couldn't live in California or Florida.  I need the change and the contrast of the seasons.   I need the permission to hang on the couch with a warm blanket because it is snowy and cold outside.  I also need the sun and warmth of a June day when I can hang on my front porch and enjoy the flowers.  Without the contrast of this the shortest day we wouldn't have the appreciation of the longest days.  So Happy Solstice to you--enjoy the chance to eat a hearty meal, cozy up with a good book, catch up on some sleep and reflect on the changes of the season.


Also today marks the beginning of my vacation.  I have spent much of the weekend debating whether I was going to REALLY take the next 2 weeks off.  I decided a few weeks ago to not schedule any client appointments over these 2 weeks but I have a few writing projects (including this blog) that I am working on as well as making plans for 2010.  But last night I thought how wonderful it would feel to just take the time, clear my head and enjoy my holidays.  Frequently, because I am a small business owner I always have one foot in one foot out.  I rarely take a full fledged get away vacation as I did when I worked for an employer.  So this morning in the spirit of Living Happier and the Holiday season I decided to make it official.  I am taking a break. I am going to enjoy my holidays with my family and friends and embrace having some time to regroup and refresh.  I am going to practice what I preach and fill up my bucket over the next 2 weeks.  I hope you can take some time to enjoy your family and friends and embrace the peace that is the holiday season.   Happy Solstice, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!   Wishing you joy, peace and happiness. See you in 2010.

"So the shortest day came, and the year died,
And everywhere down the centuries of the snow-white world
Came people singing, dancing,
To drive the dark away.
They lighted candles in the winter trees;
They hung their homes with evergreen;
They burned beseeching fires all night long
To keep the year alive,
And when the new year's sunshine blazed awake
They shouted, reveling.
Through all the frosty ages you can hear them
Echoing behind us - Listen!!
All the long echoes sing the same delight,
This shortest day,
As promise wakens in the sleeping land:
They carol, fest, give thanks,
And dearly love their friends,
And hope for peace.
And so do we, here, now,
This year and every year.
Welcome Yule!!"
-   Susan Cooper, The Shortest Day
blog comments powered by Disqus