Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Favorite Books


Clients often ask me for books recommendations.  My office has a bookshelf filled with resources, not to mention the overflowing bookshelves in my home office and living room.  I thought it would be fun to share some of those resources here:

Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach:  This book changed my life.  I have read it probably 10 times and each time I pick it up I get new insight. Reading it is like taking a warm shower it is just a breath of fresh air to remind me that I am ok just as I am.  If you are working on self acceptance and giving yourself a break I HIGHLY recommend this book.

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman:  This is a great book for relationships.  It is basic and simple, which is one of the reasons I love it.  This book addresses the subject of communication and how we all have different ways of giving and receiving love.  Frequently clients think there husband has no clue or can't figure it out when really they are just expressing a different love language. This book serves as a way to open up the lines of communication in a relationship.

Finding Your Own North Star by Martha Beck:  An amazing book for figuring out what you really want your life to look like.  More than just your career, this book looks at your whole life, your desires, dreams and limiting beliefs.  I remember the first time I read this book I couldn't put it down--so full of wisdom and ah ha's.

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert:  I have also read this book multiple times.  It is one of those books that when I am feeling lost or alone I will pick it up and open it randomly and it is like putting on an old comfy sweater.  I love the writing style and the journey that the author goes on.  It is one we all must take we just don't get to do it to such exotic locations.

Daring Greatly by Brené Brown.  I confess I am currently reading this one but it is AMAZING--and if you are a regular reader you know I am a HUGE Brené Brown fan.  All of her books are wonderful... this is her most recent and includes information from all of her previous work.  She talks about shame, vulnerability, and whole-hearted living from a very real, authentic research based place.  I highly recommend any of her books.

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Riuz:  Another simple but oh so complex book.  Simply stated he says that we just need to live by 4 agreements and we will have peace--easier said than done.  When you read this book it all demes possible and wonderful and I frequently pick it up as a reminder that life doesn't need to be so hard.

Everything I Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum.  This book is full of witty, philosophical stories.  I remember reading it out loud with my mom around the kitchen table.  We would both be reading it and then get so excited we would have to read it out loud to each other.  I love this book for its insight and laughter.

Ok, your turn...what are some of your favorite books?  Please share I think we would all enjoy getting new book ideas :)
blog comments powered by Disqus