Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Living Happier through Holiday Parties

It is that time of year for holiday parties and gatherings.  Whether with friends, families or co-workers it is easy to get overwhelmed with the holiday parties and events.  Sometimes these joyous  holidays parties can be met with stress and anxiety.

Here are some of my tips for Living Happier through Holiday Parties.
  1. Do you really want to go?  Before you RSVP yes, or agree to an event, check in with yourself.  Do really want to go?  You don't have to say yes to every invite that comes along.  You have the right to graciously decline an invite and stay home, watch movies and eat popcorn if that is how you would rather spend your energy. When you are intentional about saying yes, you are able to spend the holidays the way YOU want to, you have more energy to devote to the events you really want to go, and you eliminate the dread and negativity that sometimes occurs during the holidays.

  2. Have a plan.  I find it is helpful to have a plan of attack for a gathering.  The more I can answer before better: Who am I going with? Who will be there? What time should we arrive? How long are we planning on staying?  If you are going to the party with someone in particular a date, your spouse, or a friend, it is helpful to set up expectations for how you are going to 'party together'.  Are you going to be together the whole night? Should you do regular check-ins?  Is there signal for 'I am stuck come save me'? Answering these questions before the party helps alleviate some of the unknowns that parties inevitably bring.  

  3. Answering the inevitable 'So, what do you do?' question.  If you are between jobs or in less than an ideal job this question can strike fear in your heart. I have found 2 helpful approaches to this question.  
  • Option 1:  Answering the question with as minimal detail as possible and then turning it back on your conversation partner.   
  • Option 2:  Spice it up and rather then getting stuck in talking about a job you don't like, talk about what you really hope to be doing someday or a current passion that isn't job related. Examples: "Well, right now I am doing_______ but what I am hoping to get into is _________ or my dream job would be ____________".  or "I am working at ____ but what I have found I love doing_____ so I am spending a lot of my free time doing that".  It might feel risky, but any time you can move the conversation off of the same old same old topics it will be more exciting for you and you fellow partiers.
Those are a few of my tips--I hope they help make your upcoming parties more manageable. 

What about you?  How do you feel about the holiday parties?  Do you have any tips? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!!

******************
Speaking of parties!! Just a quick reminder for those in the Central Ohio area: Tomorrow is an Open House to celebrate the launch of my Course So, What Comes Next? 

Please, stop by for cocktails, light appetizers and casual conversation. Plus enter a raffle to win copies of the course.  Oh and there will be cake!  

The Open House is from 7-9pm at  Colin's Coffee: 3714 Riverside Drive, Columbus Ohio 43221  Click here for more information.
blog comments powered by Disqus